07 June 2010

The beach

I am unemployed. This means I can go to the beach on a weekday and find a parking spot. Now, whether I can convince myself to stop feeling guilty if I'm not working on job searching and/or job skill-building during business hours and take an hour to stop by the beach is a personal issue.

To those coming to SD from elsewhere, like me, the concept of free parking at the beach can be quite a nice discovery. In Cape Cod, parking your car at the ocean during the summer season could cost about $15 per day, last I checked. I used to ride my bike from the hostel I worked at with a beach mat sticking out of my backpack to avoid the fee.

To be fair, if you don't already own some sunblock or other useful things like sunglasses, a hat and a water bottle, heading to the beach may cost money initially (unless you opt for the sunset option).A tip I picked up from one of our hostel guests is to use an old sheet as your beach blanket. They dry quickly and take up far less space in the washing machine than beach towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment